Carshalton

VIDEO
Debra
Available Now
Vera
Available Now
Alexa
Available Now
VIDEO
Megan
Available Now
Dominica
Available Now
Kylie
Available Now
Marina
Available Now
Britta and Cleo
Available Now
Natalie and Nancy
Available Now
More Escorts

AllStars Escorts Areas / Carshalton


Carshalton (, )|group= n

History

To the south of the area now known as Carshalton, remains of Artifact (archaeology)s dating from the Neolithic to the British Iron Age have been found, suggesting that this was an early place of habitation.The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Vol 4, edited by H.E.Malden, published 1912. Prior to the Norman Conquest it is recorded that there were five manors in this location owned by five freemen."The Environs of London: Vol 1 - County of Surrey" by Daniel Lysons, published 1792.

The village lay within the Anglo-Saxons administrative division of Wallington (hundred) hundred (division).

Carshalton appears in Domesday Book as ''Aultone''. It was held by Goisfrid (Geoffrey) de Mandeville. Its domesday assets were: 3½ hide (unit)s; 1 church, 10 ploughs, 1 Mill (grinding) worth £1 15s 0d, of meadow, woodland worth 2 hog (swine)s. It rendered £15 10s 0d.[http://www.gwp.enta.net/surrnames.htm Surrey Domesday Book]

Carshalton was known for its springs; these may have given the place its name ''Cars - Aul - ton''. ''Aul'' means well or spring. A ''ton'' is a farm which was in some way enclosed. The meaning of the Cars element is uncertain but early spellings (Kersaulton and Cresaulton) may indicate connection with a cross or perhaps cress, watercress having been grown locally.

In his book ''History of the Worthies of England'', the 17th century historian Thomas Fuller refers to Carshalton for its walnuts and trout.

Land was primarily put to agronomy use and the river Wandle gave rise to manufacturing using Water wheel. A water mill to grind corn was mentioned in the ''Domesday Book''. By the end of the 18th century it was recorded that there were several mills for the production of paper and parchment, leather, snuff, log-wood and seed oil. There were also bleaching grounds for Calico (textile). During the Victorian era and into the early 20th century, Carshalton was known for its lavender fieldsVolume 16, Page 293 of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica. (also see below under "Landmarks"), but the increasing land demand for residential building put an end to commercial growing.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists 78 civilian casualties in Carshalton during World War II.

From 1894 to 1965 Carshalton formed part of the Carshalton Urban District. Carshalton (, )|group= n

Geography

Central Carshalton, around the ponds and High Street, retains a village character, although the busy A232 runs through the area. There are a number of buildings and open spaces protected by the Carshalton Village Conservation Area.https://www.sutton.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1381 It was designated in 1968, and was the first area to be given the status by the London Borough of Sutton. In 1993 its boundary was extended to include parts of Mill Lane and parts of The Square and Talbot Road, containing the All Saints Church Rectory. The Conservation Area contains many of the Listed and Locally Listed Buildings which contribute to the historical significance of the area, and is widely considered to contain some of the finest historical architecture and road layout within the Borough. The Sun public house (pictured left), is a fine example of Victorian decorative brickwork, and makes a positive contribution to the Conservation Area.

The Conservation Area also comprises open parkland of historical importance, including the grounds of Carshalton House Estate (which contains St. Philomena’s Catholic School, St Mary’s Junior School, St Mary’s Infants School and the Water Tower) and The Grove Park (which contains The Grove).

Sutton, London is centred west of the town centre of Carshalton, its east-west central street can be considered a continuation of Carshalton's own main street, an almost straight A-road route to Orpington via Croydon, beginning in Ewell.[http://www.gridreferencefinder.com Grid reference Finder measurement tools]

Carshalton-on-the-Hill is the residential area on the high chalk upland ground to the south of Carshalton Park around Boundary Road, Stanley Road and Stanley Park Road and stretching out towards the smallholdings of Little Woodcote.

Carshalton Beeches is the area to the west of Carshalton-on-the-Hill, around Beeches Avenue, Banstead Road and Woodmansterne Road. It grew up around the #Transport which was named after Beeches Avenue, a street near to its location; which, in turn, is named after the beech trees which line it.

The Wrythe lies between Carshalton village to the south and St Helier to the north-west. Its name is thought to derive from the rye that was once grown in this area, or from the Anglo-Saxon word ''rithe'' which means a small stream.The Book of Carshalton: At the Source of the Wandle, based on talks by Michael Wilks, published 2002. During the time of the Roman Britain occupation of the British Isles, a small spring was situated near the green, now shadowed by a BP garage. Roman activity in the area is confirmed by the fact that there was once a Roman Villa built in Beddington, just a couple of miles away, and a number of roads in the vicinity of Roman origin. The spring has since disappeared under ground and the culvert it feeds flows into the Wandle near Hackbridge.
{{Geographic location
|title = '''Neighbouring areas'''
|Northwest = Rose Hill, London
|North = Benhilton
|Northeast = Mitcham
|West = Sutton, London
|Centre = Carshalton
|East = Wallington, London
|Southwest = Belmont, Sutton
|South = Woodmansterne
|Southeast = Roundshaw
}} Carshalton (, )|group= n

Landmarks

All Saints Church
The parish church of All Saints overlooks Carshalton Ponds. A church has stood on this site since at least Norman times and probably much longer. The current church contains 12th century work but has been much extended over the centuries; most dramatically in 1891 when a new nave and north aisle were added.

Just outside the churchyard wall is a spring locally known as "Anne Boleyn's Well". It is popularly said to have received this name because it appeared when Anne Boleyn's horse kicked a stone and a spring of water appeared. Another possible explanation is that the name is a corruption of "Boulogne-sur-Mer". The Count of Boulogne owned land here in the 12th century and there may have been a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Boulogne near the well.

Lavender Fields
Two historic lavender fields. One at Oaks Way, Carshalton Beeches: A not-for-profit community project that manages 3 acres of lavender. Plus a 25-acre commercial site in Croydon Lane, popular with tourists. This area was once famous as "the lavender capital of the world". From the 18th to the early 20th centuries the North Downs of Surrey, with its chalky free-draining soil, ideal for lavender growing, were at the centre of worldwide production of lavender. It was a very prosperous part of the local agriculture. Blue fields could be seen all over Mitcham, Croydon, Wallington, Banstead, Carshalton and Sutton. The scale of the operation can be understood from the fact that the Daily News in 1914 was able to state that at Carshalton Beeches "In every direction the low hill sides of the farm beyond Beeches Halt are swept with the bloomy pastel tint of the lavender flowers".

Carshalton House Water Tower
The water tower was built in the early 18th century primarily to house a water driven pump supplying water to Carshalton House (now St Philomena's Catholic High School for Girls) and the fountains in its gardens. It was planned as a (now Grade II listed) multi-purpose building, however, and also contains an orangery, a saloon and a bathroom which retains original Delft tiles.

Little Holland House
Little Holland House in Carshalton Beeches was the home of the artist and designer Frank Dickinson (1874–1961). Dickinson's Arts and Crafts movement style interior was influenced by John Ruskin and William Morris. The house contains many of his art works. Dickinson built his house between 1902-4, and achieved a unique blend of traditional and Art Nouveau, which has featured in several recent TV series on architectural history. Inside the Grade II* listed interior are his hand-made furniture, paintings, interior decoration, carvings and metalwork. The House is now occasionally open to members of the public.

Honeywood Museum

Honeywood is a large house at the western end of Carshalton Ponds. At its earliest it dates from the 17th century but has been much extended and restored, particularly in the period 1896 to 1903 when a large Edwardian wing was added to the south side.http://www.friendsofhoneywood.co.uk/History_of_Honeywood.htm It now houses the London Borough of Sutton's Museum and has a local history collection, including objects that date back to the Bronze Age.

The museum has recently been refurbished, reopening in May 2012 with enhanced features. There are now expanded displays about the river Wandle and its influence on the life of the area, including an interactive map.

The Oaks bakehouse
The late 19th century bakehouse in #Parks is all that remains of "The Oaks" mansion which burned down and was demolished in the 1950s. The original bread oven remains in situ. Blocks of burnt bricks from the ruins of the great house were used by local builders to construct garden walls for houses all along Woodmansterne Road, and may still be seen today.[https://www.sutton.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3874] London Borough of Sutton

The Orangery
The Orangery in The Square was built in the second half of the 18th century in Carshalton Park (the section of which between here and Ruskin Road has since been built over). It is now used for commercial office space.

Strawberry Lodge
Constructed in 1685, Strawberry Lodge is one of Carshalton's oldest buildings. It was built by Josias Dewye who was described in records at the time as a 'clothworker and citizen of London'. In the late 17th century Josias moved from Chilworth to Carshalton to run a Gunpowder Mill on the River Wandle and decided to make his home nearby at the lodge.

Located on the corner of Strawberry Lane and Mill Lane, Strawberry Lodge is owned by Carshalton Baptist Church. Besides being a place of worship it is also used during the week as a conference and training centre. During the 1990s the site was renovated by the Baptist Church supported by the London Borough of Sutton.

Sutton Ecology Centre
The Sutton Ecology Centre is located in the Carshalton Village part of Sutton borough.https://www.sutton.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1627 It is an area of mainly open space where visitors can find out about wildlife habitats, alternative energy, recycling, composting, and organic gardening. The Centre's activities include running educational visits for schools and community groups, as well as events and volunteer days.

The history of the Ecology Centre is that the grounds were until the late eighties known as the "Lodgelands", named after the old gardens of The Lodge in Carshalton. They were used as a tree nursery until the early eighties, when they became surplus to requirements. After a prolonged public debate, it was agreed in 1987 to preserve the area as an open space for public use. Carshalton (, )|group= n

Parks

Cascade]]
In common with the London Borough of Sutton as a whole, Carshalton has many green spaces with three main public parks of note.

The present day Carshalton Park is situated south of the High Street, in the area bounded by Ruskin Road, Ashcombe Road and Woodstock Road. The park and some of the surrounding houses lie within a conservation area. Although much reduced from its original size, it still offers features of historical significance and includes a grotto, the ''Hog Pit'' Pond, and a recently rediscovered air raid shelter.

Grove Park, Carshalton, closest to the village centre, is the best example of a Victorian park in the Borough. It is situated in the area approximately bounded by the High Street, North Street and Mill Lane. The southwest corner of the park abuts one of Carshalton's ponds (Lower Pond) from where water flows through the park as the river Wandle.

Oaks Park, Carshalton is a large park landscaped in a naturalistic style, providing downland walks. It was substantially laid out for the Edward Smith-Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby nearly 250 years ago – in the 1770s – but its villa dates back further than that. The villa (for one Thomas Gosling) was built around 1750, in the era's fashionable landscape style, with trees forming a perimeter screen and placed in artful clumps to suggest a natural landscape. The house was partly rebuilt by Robert Taylor (architect) for John Burgoyne in 1775 and by Robert Adam for the 12th Earl of Derby in 1790. The villa's bakehouse, stable block and some outbuildings remain to this day. The modern day open space also hosts a public golf course and sports centre. The park itself contains a craft-centre and a café. Carshalton (, )|group= n

Transport

Carshalton has two railway stations: Carshalton railway station and Carshalton Beeches railway station. From 1847 to the opening of the current Carshalton in 1868 Wallington railway station was named Carshalton. Trains run from the current Carshalton to Victoria (in around 25 minutes), London Bridge and Thameslink stations including Blackfriars, Farringdon and Kings Cross St Pancras. The closest London Underground station is Morden tube station, which is a 12-21 minute journey from Carshalton High Street by London Buses route 157 bus. Bus services London Buses route 127, London Buses route 407, London buses route 627, and London Buses route X26 also serve the High Street. Bus service London Buses route 154 serves Carshalton Beeches Station with links to Morden and West Croydon. Carshalton (, )|group= n

Sports

Carshalton has two football clubs: Carshalton Athletic F.C. (home ground at The War Memorial Sports Ground, Colston Avenue) and Carshalton FC (at Beddington Park).
At the Westcroft Leisure Centre in Grove Park, Carshalton, there are health and fitness facilities including two swimming pools one being a teaching pool, sports hall, two others halls, squash court and fitness centre. There is also a children's play area called Kid's Kingdom. The centre has been undergoing a major renovation costing £11 million, bringing improved swimming facilities, a dance studio and beauty treatment rooms. In addition, Carshalton library has moved to the centre. Carshalton (, )|group= n

Events

]]

;Theatre
There are frequent productions at The Charles Cryer Studio Theatre, which is situated on the High Street and within walking distance of Carshalton railway station (the nearest) and Carshalton Beeches railway station railway stations. As well as drama and musicals, productions include comedy and dance. The theatre is named after the man who led the campaign to open the Secombe Theatre in neighbouring Sutton, London.http://www.overthefootlights.co.uk/20.pdf With material ranging from Shakespeare to Chekov to panto and children’s favourites, the theatre's aim is to balance popularity with quality. The theatre also serves as a concert venue for local bands and has played host to the popular local Rockshot festival. The theatre building also incorporates a Thai restaurant.

;Carshalton Environmental Fair
The Environmental Fair is held in Carshalton Park on August Bank Holiday Monday.
It features over 100 stalls and showcases local sustainability initiatives. It also includes music, performing art, poetry, children's activities, campaign groups, local craft, interactive demonstrations, and a farmers' market. Music is performed from three stages and across the genres from rock to folk. The main stage is a natural open-air amphitheatre. There is food and a bar with real ales. The fair attracts on average around 10,000 people. It is organised by EcoLocal with a team of volunteers.

;Other events
Other annual events include the Carshalton Fireworks[http://www.carshaltonfireworks.org.uk/ Carshalton Fireworks]. a charity fireworks display at Carshalton Park on the Saturday nearest to Guy Fawkes Night, a summer carnival on the second Saturday of June, a beer festival over the first Bank Holiday weekend in May,
and Carshalton Charter fair held in September.

The Ecology Centre and Honeywood Museum also hold regular events and meetings.

The Methodist hall in Ruskin Road is home to the Ruskin Players and the Carshalton Choral Society, both of which perform at regular intervals throughout the year.

The annual Carshalton Lavender harvest weekend is held in July, at Stanley Park Allotments, Carshalton-on-the-Hill. Carshalton (, )|group= n

Education

[[File:Saint Philomena's.jpg|thumb|250px|St Philomena's Catholic High School for Girls]]
There are a number of primary schools and secondary schools as well as one college in Carshalton. These are listed below.

;Primary schools
* [http://www.allsaintscarshalton.sutton.sch.uk All Saints, CofE, Carshalton Primary]
* [http://www.barrowhedges.com/ Barrow Hedges Primary]
* [http://www.camden.sutton.sch.uk Camden Junior]
* [http://www.muschamp.org.uk Muschamp Primary]
* [http://www.rushymeadow.sutton.sch.uk Rushy Meadow]
* [http://www.stanleypark-inf.sutton.sch.uk Stanley Park Infants']
* [http://www.spjs.org Stanley Park Junior]

;Secondary schools
* St Philomena's Catholic High School for Girls[http://www.stphils.org.uk/ St Philomena's School]. (Catholic Girls' High School)
* Carshalton High School for Girls[http://www.chsg.org.uk/ Carshalton High School for Girls].
* Carshalton Boys Sports College[http://www.carshaltonboys.org/ Carshalton Boys Sports College]. (renamed from Carshalton High School for Boys)
* Stanley Park High School[http://www.stanleyparkhigh.co.uk/ Stanley Park High School].

;College
* Carshalton College[http://www.carshalton.ac.uk/ Carshalton College].

** ''See the London Borough of Sutton and List of schools in Sutton articles for details of education in the whole borough.'' Carshalton (, )|group= n

Notable individuals

** ''See the London Borough of Sutton article for notable individuals in the whole borough.' Carshalton (, )|group= n

Notes and References

;Notes

;References Carshalton (, )|group= n

External links

* [http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=527750&Y=164750&A=Y&Z=1 Map of area from Streetmap]
* [http://www.Carshaltonwatertower.co.uk/ Carshalton Water Tower]
* [http://www.carshaltonmums.com/carshaltonmums/Welcome.html Carshalton Mums]
* [http://www.friendsofhoneywood.co.uk/ The Friends of Honeywood Museum]
* [http://www.carshaltonallsaints.org.uk/ All Saints Church]
* [http://www.strawberrylodge.co.uk/ Strawberry Lodge]
* [http://www.carshalton.ac.uk/ Carshalton College]
* [http://www.carshaltonathletic.co.uk/ Carshalton Athletic FC]
* [http://www.carshaltonfc.co.uk/ Carshalton Football Club]
* [http://www.carshaltonlavender.org/ Carshalton Lavender]




Category:Areas of London
Category:Districts of Sutton (London borough)
Category:Districts of London listed in the Domesday Book
Category:Post towns in the SM postcode area
Category:Charter fairs