Cricklewood

Amy
Available Now
Natalie
Available Now
VIDEO
Krystal
Available Now
Rachel
Available Now
Isabella
Available Now
VIDEO
Priscilla
Available Now
Tina and Dominica
Available Now
Simone
Available Now
VIDEO
Tina
Available Now
More Escorts

AllStars Escorts Areas / Cricklewood


Cricklewood is an area in north-west London, England, situated 5 miles (8.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross. It lies between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill to the west, Brondesbury and Kilburn, London to the south, West Hampstead and Child's Hill to the south-east and east, and Brent Cross to the north. The area is split between three London Borough's: London Borough of Barnet to the north-east, London Borough of Brent to the west and London Borough of Camden to the south-east. Cricklewood was a small rural settlement around the Edgware Road (originally the Roman Road, Watling Street), until the arrival of the railway, and underground railway (tube) in nearby Willesden Green tube station, in the 1870s. The bustling shops on the Cricklewood Broadway (as the Edgware Road is known here) contrasts with quieter surrounding streets of largely late Victorian, Edwardian and 1930s housing. The area has strong links with Ireland and a sizeable Irish population. The Crown Pub (now The Crown Moran Hotel) is a local landmark. The 35 hectares (86 acres) Gladstone Park, London lies on its north-west border. Cricklewood has two conservation areas, the Mapesbury Estate and the Cricklewood Railway Terraces, and in 2012 was awarded £1.65 million from the Mayor of London’s office to improve the area.

History

Early history
There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its “pleasure gardens”. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge.

Urban development east of Edgware Road
Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood railway station, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new “Brent Sidings”, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Cricklewood Railway Cottages. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Public house#Inns, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm Groves) in 1880. The station had become the terminus for the Midland Railway suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St. Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891. A daughter church called Little St. Peter's was opened in 1958 on Claremont Way and closed in 1983. The parish church on Cricklewood Lane was demolished and rebuilt in the 1970s. This church building was closed in 2004 although services for Anglicans are still held in Carey Hall on Claremont Road, which is the church hall of Claremont Free Church. The London General Omnibus Company commenced services to Regent Street from the Crown in 1883, in 1899 opening a bus garage (Garage code W), which is still in use, and completely rebuilt in 2010.



By the 1890s, houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. Cricklewood Broadway had become a retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont Film Company, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton, Caddington and Dersingham Roads were laid out in 1907, the year of the opening of Golders Green tube station.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses; at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935.

Urban development west of Edgware Road
Much of the land to the west of Edgware Road, was part of the estate of All Souls College, Oxford. Much of the land was wooded and in 1662 there were 79 oaks in Cricklewood. The transformation of the area came with the opening of the underground station in Willesden Green in 1879, which was known as Willesden Green and Cricklewood station from 1894 to 1938.

A number of developers acquired land in the area and built houses in the 1890s and 1900s. George Furness laid out what he called Cricklewood Park between 1893 and 1900 on Clock farm. Roads in the area are named after trees (Pine, Larch, Cedar, Ivy, Olive). The name Cricklewood Park is no longer used. To the south of this, Henry Corsellis built Rockhall, Oaklands and Howard Road from 1894, at the time he was also building in the Lavender Hill and Clapham Common area in Wandsworth. All Souls College built a group of roads named after fellows of the college, for example, Chichele Road is named after Henry Chichele founder of All Souls College. Further expansion westward was blocked by the Dollis Hill estate, which became a public park, Gladstone Park, in 1901. To the north of Furness's Cricklewood Park estate, Earl Temple built Temple Road by 1906 and surrounding roads. To the south, the Mapesbury Estate was built mainly between 1895 and 1905 and is a Conservation Area of largely semi-detached and detached houses.

Industrial history
With the introduction of the tram system in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, numerous important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde). The Handley Page Aircraft Company soon followed, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane and subsequently occupying a large part of Claremont Road. The Cricklewood Aerodrome was adjacent to their factory.

The former aircraft factory was converted into Cricklewood Studios in 1920, the largest film studio in the country at the time. It became the production base for Stoll Pictures during the silent era. After later turning out a number of quota quickies, it closed down in 1938. Some years later, the property was brown field redeveloped and currently hosts a Wickes DIY retail establishment.'Wickes: Its Got Our Name On It. URL: http://www.wickes.co.uk/london/cricklewood/stry/nw26jn/ Date accessed: 26 December 2013.

A number of plans were drawn up around the turn of the 20th century to extend the developing London Underground network to Cricklewood. Several proposals were put forward to construct an Edgware Road Tube schemes, including an unusual scheme to build a type of subterranean monorail roller coaster, but these proposals were abandoned.

Cricklewood was home to Smiths Group. This started in 1915 as S. Smith & Sons, on the Edgware Road, established to manufacture fuses, instruments and accessories. By 1939 it was making electrical motors, aircraft accessories and electric clocks. Their large advertisement on the iron railway bridge over the Broadway next to the bus garage became a familiar landmark for decades. As the company grew it acquired other companies and sites overseas but Cricklewood remained the most important site, with 8,000 employees between 1937 and 1978.'Willesden: Economic history', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 220–228. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22605 Date accessed: 14 November 2007. Coincidentally, Cricklewood also became the home for the first The Smith's Snackfood Company Potato chip factory which replaced the bus garage at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane, the yard was taken over by Clang Electrical Goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over. Bentley Motors, builders of racing and sports cars, built a factory at Oxgate Lane in 1920, and Cricklewood remained their headquarters until they were bought out by Rolls-Royce Limited in 1931.

From the 1960s, industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned businesses have left.



Mention should be made of two notable buildings on Cricklewood Lane. The first was Production Village, part of the British film-making scene and owned by Samuelsons, which towards the end was a Public house with rehearsal rooms attached. On the same site was Clangs electrical from 1929 to the mid-1970s. Production Village itself was demolished in 2000, and is now a Virgin Active gym. Secondly, and a little further up the hill, is a rather odd modern building on the south side of the road (about number 138): this was the factory for the revolutionary Dubreq Stylophone handheld organ of the late 1960s / early 1970s – as demonstrated by Rolf Harris.

In June 2001, a lynx was captured in Cricklewood after 10 year's of sightings by residents. The animal was originally nicknamed the "Beast of Barnet" by the local press following numerous sightings of a similarly-sized animal around south Hertfordshire and the fringes of north London. A senior veterinary officer for the London Zoological Society arrived with the task of sedating the beast using a tranquiliser gun. It is believed that someone was keeping the animal illegally and it had escaped.'The Beast of Cricklewood is caged' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1329632/The-Beast-of-Cricklewood-is-caged.html The lynx was taken to London Zoo, and named Lara.'Captured 'Beast Of Barnet' Recovers In Zoo' http://100megsfree4.com/farshores/abc_uk85.htm Cricklewood is an area in north-west London, England, situated 5 miles (8.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross. It lies between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill to the west, Brondesbury and Kilburn, London to the south, West Hampstead and Child's Hill to the south-east and east, and Brent Cross to the north. The area is split between three London Borough's: London Borough of Barnet to the north-east, London Borough of Brent to the west and London Borough of Camden to the south-east. Cricklewood was a small rural settlement around the Edgware Road (originally the Roman Road, Watling Street), until the arrival of the railway, and underground railway (tube) in nearby Willesden Green tube station, in the 1870s. The bustling shops on the Cricklewood Broadway (as the Edgware Road is known here) contrasts with quieter surrounding streets of largely late Victorian, Edwardian and 1930s housing. The area has strong links with Ireland and a sizeable Irish population. The Crown Pub (now The Crown Moran Hotel) is a local landmark. The 35 hectares (86 acres) Gladstone Park, London lies on its north-west border. Cricklewood has two conservation areas, the Mapesbury Estate and the Cricklewood Railway Terraces, and in 2012 was awarded £1.65 million from the Mayor of London’s office to improve the area.

Geography

{{Geographic Location
|title = '''Neighbouring areas'''
|Northwest = West Hendon
|North = Brent Cross
|Northeast = Golders Green
|West = Dollis Hill
|Centre = Cricklewood
|East = Childs Hill
|Southwest = Willesden
|South = Brondesbury
|Southeast = West Hampstead
}} Cricklewood is an area in north-west London, England, situated 5 miles (8.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross. It lies between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill to the west, Brondesbury and Kilburn, London to the south, West Hampstead and Child's Hill to the south-east and east, and Brent Cross to the north. The area is split between three London Borough's: London Borough of Barnet to the north-east, London Borough of Brent to the west and London Borough of Camden to the south-east. Cricklewood was a small rural settlement around the Edgware Road (originally the Roman Road, Watling Street), until the arrival of the railway, and underground railway (tube) in nearby Willesden Green tube station, in the 1870s. The bustling shops on the Cricklewood Broadway (as the Edgware Road is known here) contrasts with quieter surrounding streets of largely late Victorian, Edwardian and 1930s housing. The area has strong links with Ireland and a sizeable Irish population. The Crown Pub (now The Crown Moran Hotel) is a local landmark. The 35 hectares (86 acres) Gladstone Park, London lies on its north-west border. Cricklewood has two conservation areas, the Mapesbury Estate and the Cricklewood Railway Terraces, and in 2012 was awarded £1.65 million from the Mayor of London’s office to improve the area.

Transport

'''Rail and Tube'''

Cricklewood railway station in Zone 3 is the nearest main-line station with Thameslink services to St. Pancras International, home of Eurostar since 2007, in approximately 10 minutes, Farringdon Station in 16 minutes and Luton Airport in 35 minutes. There is a railway complex and sidings to the north of the station.

Willesden Green tube station and Kilburn tube station, both on the Jubilee line in Zone 2, lie within 15 minutes walk from Cricklewood Broadway. Services to Baker Street tube station in 11 minutes and Westminster tube station in 17 minutes.

Brondesbury railway station in Zone 2 on the London Overground also lies within 15 minutes walk of the Broadway, with services to Hampstead Heath in 6 minutes.

'''Road'''

Cricklewood Broadway, the main north-south road through the area, is part of the Edgware Road leading directly to Marble Arch, between Oxford Street and Hyde Park, London .

The area has a bus garage (Garage code W), completely rebuilt in 2010, meaning that many bus routes start or run through the area. There are frequent services to Victoria, Hammersmith, Oxford Street, Brent Cross and Golders Green among others

'''Other'''

Cricklewood Aerodrome adjacent to the Handley Page factory in the 1920s was used for the first London-Paris air service. Cricklewood is an area in north-west London, England, situated 5 miles (8.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross. It lies between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill to the west, Brondesbury and Kilburn, London to the south, West Hampstead and Child's Hill to the south-east and east, and Brent Cross to the north. The area is split between three London Borough's: London Borough of Barnet to the north-east, London Borough of Brent to the west and London Borough of Camden to the south-east. Cricklewood was a small rural settlement around the Edgware Road (originally the Roman Road, Watling Street), until the arrival of the railway, and underground railway (tube) in nearby Willesden Green tube station, in the 1870s. The bustling shops on the Cricklewood Broadway (as the Edgware Road is known here) contrasts with quieter surrounding streets of largely late Victorian, Edwardian and 1930s housing. The area has strong links with Ireland and a sizeable Irish population. The Crown Pub (now The Crown Moran Hotel) is a local landmark. The 35 hectares (86 acres) Gladstone Park, London lies on its north-west border. Cricklewood has two conservation areas, the Mapesbury Estate and the Cricklewood Railway Terraces, and in 2012 was awarded £1.65 million from the Mayor of London’s office to improve the area.

Local Attractions and Amenities

The Mapesbury Dell on Hoveden Road is an award-winning small park and garden administered by local residents. It started in 2000 when local residents in conjunction with the Mapesbury Residents Association decided that their local green space was too valuable to leave to fortune. The dell is open to the public during daylight hours and is used throughout the year, for example hosting carol services in mid-December.http://www.mapesbury-dell.org/



Gladstone Park, London lies on the western border of Cricklewood, near Dollis Hill and is approximately 35 hectares (86 acres) in size. In 2003/04, Gladstone Park features and facilities were improved/restored with the aid of Heritage Lottery Fund funding. The park contains a well maintained formal garden, children's playground, art gallery, cafe and pond, as well as good sport facilities (football/rugby/cricket pitches and tennis and netball courts).http://www.brent.gov.uk/pks.nsf/Parks/LBB-39 On clear days it offers views from the top of the hill of Wembley Stadium, the London Eye and The Shard. The park was frequented by Mark Twain around the turn of the 20th century whilst staying in Dollis Hill House. He remarked he had "never seen any place that was so satisfactorily situated, with its noble trees and stretch of country, and everything that went to make life delightful, and all within a biscuit's throw of the metropolis of the world".



The historic Crown Pub is a terracotta, grade two listed Victorian building on Cricklewood Broadway, built by the architects Shoebridge & Rising in 1899. It was fully restored in 2003, and reopened as the The Crown Moran Hotelhttp://www.crownmoranhotel.com/ and with the addition of a 152 room 4 star hotel and restaurant (Kitchen at The Crown). The building style has been described as: “Free Flemish Renaissance, with two stepped and voluted gables in front of a slate mansard roof, a battlement turret at one end. Plentiful terracotta ornament; four handsome cast-iron lamp standards in front.” [http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ksLVs3ItiNQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false Cherry, Bridget and Pevsner, Nikolaus, The Buildings of England, London 4: North, 2002, Yale University Press, p. 112].

Another notable local building is the Cricklewood Baptist Church on Anson Road at the Junction with Sneyd Road. The church was built in 1907 of red and yellow brick in the Italian Byzantine style. Other historic local churches include St Gabriels, Cricklewood and St.Michaels Church, Cricklewood.
The Roman Catholic Church of St.Agnes built in 1883http://parish.rcdow.org.uk/cricklewood/ stands on 35 Cricklewood Lane.
St. Agnes Catholic Primary school is next door and both cater for the large Catholic population of the area.

Cricklewood Pumping Station built in 1905 is another distinctive building, the interior of which was used as a double for the Titanic's engine rooms of the 1997 film, Titanic. Cricklewood is an area in north-west London, England, situated 5 miles (8.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross. It lies between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill to the west, Brondesbury and Kilburn, London to the south, West Hampstead and Child's Hill to the south-east and east, and Brent Cross to the north. The area is split between three London Borough's: London Borough of Barnet to the north-east, London Borough of Brent to the west and London Borough of Camden to the south-east. Cricklewood was a small rural settlement around the Edgware Road (originally the Roman Road, Watling Street), until the arrival of the railway, and underground railway (tube) in nearby Willesden Green tube station, in the 1870s. The bustling shops on the Cricklewood Broadway (as the Edgware Road is known here) contrasts with quieter surrounding streets of largely late Victorian, Edwardian and 1930s housing. The area has strong links with Ireland and a sizeable Irish population. The Crown Pub (now The Crown Moran Hotel) is a local landmark. The 35 hectares (86 acres) Gladstone Park, London lies on its north-west border. Cricklewood has two conservation areas, the Mapesbury Estate and the Cricklewood Railway Terraces, and in 2012 was awarded £1.65 million from the Mayor of London’s office to improve the area.

Local groups and associations

In June 2012, Cricklewood was awarded £1.67 million from the Mayor of London’s Outer London Fund to boost the local high street, deliver growth, new jobs and improve lives.http://www.cricklewood.net/ In additional to physical improvements to the area the funds will also go towards the running costs of the yearly Silk Road http://udensoncaldbeck.co.uk/blog/archives/212 and pre-Christmas winter festivals. The OMG comedy club was inaugurated at the same time to contribute to the local cultural scene.http://www.facebook.com/OmgComedyClub

There are two residents' associations in the area: the North West Two Residents Association,http://northwesttwo.co.uk/ and the Mapesbury Residents Association.http://mapra.org.uk// In addition, the NW2 Network aims to connect local professionals and service providers.http://www.northwesttwo.co.uk/nw2network.php A group of local artists has also recently set up a group called Creative Cricklewood,http://creativecricklewood.org/ which puts on open mic nights at the Windmill Pub every Thursday evening, as well as other events. Cricklewood is an area in north-west London, England, situated 5 miles (8.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross. It lies between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill to the west, Brondesbury and Kilburn, London to the south, West Hampstead and Child's Hill to the south-east and east, and Brent Cross to the north. The area is split between three London Borough's: London Borough of Barnet to the north-east, London Borough of Brent to the west and London Borough of Camden to the south-east. Cricklewood was a small rural settlement around the Edgware Road (originally the Roman Road, Watling Street), until the arrival of the railway, and underground railway (tube) in nearby Willesden Green tube station, in the 1870s. The bustling shops on the Cricklewood Broadway (as the Edgware Road is known here) contrasts with quieter surrounding streets of largely late Victorian, Edwardian and 1930s housing. The area has strong links with Ireland and a sizeable Irish population. The Crown Pub (now The Crown Moran Hotel) is a local landmark. The 35 hectares (86 acres) Gladstone Park, London lies on its north-west border. Cricklewood has two conservation areas, the Mapesbury Estate and the Cricklewood Railway Terraces, and in 2012 was awarded £1.65 million from the Mayor of London’s office to improve the area.

Development