Leamouth

Leamouth

London Escorts Areas / Leamouth

Leamouth is the land, traditionally in Poplar, immediately west of the River Lea where it joins the River Thames at . Its northern half lies within a small meander of the Lea named after its reach as Goodluck Hope. The south-eastern part, known as Orchard Place is bounded by a local thoroughfare with trees, the remaining small East India Docks, the River Lea and the River Thames.

Transport

It forms an L-shaped peninsular which is connected to east and west by a main road splitting its halves: the Lower Lea Crossing which is a local by-pass of the A13 road (Great Britain). Leamouth is the land, traditionally in Poplar, immediately west of the River Lea where it joins the River Thames at . Its northern half lies within a small meander of the Lea named after its reach as Goodluck Hope. The south-eastern part, known as Orchard Place is bounded by a local thoroughfare with trees, the remaining small East India Docks, the River Lea and the River Thames.

History

This was traditionally the easternmost part of Middlesex and its economy closely mirrored that of neighbouring riverside Blackwall, London.

The area has never had its own Anglican church so for services such as road maintenance organised by a vestry and poor relief it relied upon its ecclesiastical parish (of All Saints) Poplar.[http://www.achurchnearyou.com/poplar-all-saints/ Church of England Website] Poplar ecclesiastical parish map Indeed the whole Isle of Dogs was until the late 20th century referred to as being Poplar or the Poplar District.[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=369 A Survey of London] 1994, Hermione Hobhouse (Gen. Ed.)

Orchard Place was the name of its manor house on the spit; this had become an eponymous public house from 1800–60. When the docks were constructed, the area became isolated, with the only access via the dock road, from Poplar, London. Residents were engaged at the glass works, the iron and engineering works, or the Samuda Brothers, Orchard House Yard and Thames Iron Works ship yards. When the Thames Plate Glass Works closed in 1874, many of the hands – who had migrated to the area from Tyneside and St Helens, Merseyside in the 1840s – followed the glassworks to New Albany, Indiana. To house the workers, there were about 100 small two-storied cottages – built from the 1820s and condemned in 1935.The cottages typically consisted of four rooms and a wash-house. There was the Bow Creek school (founded in 1865), but few shops, and ''The Crown'', a public house, opened about 1840.Charles Lammin ''Memories of Orchard House'' (East London History Society, 1961)

One street, ''Orchard Place'', runs through the former industrial area and the Lower Lea Crossing crosses the narrow strip of land between the two tongues. The northern part was principally occupied by Pura Foods Ltd vegetable oil refinery – on the site of the former Thames Plate Glass Works; and the south by engineering works, shipyards (Thames Iron Works and
Orchard House Yard) and Trinity Buoy Wharf which contains London's only lighthouse. There are also live-work units, many in the form of the Container City. The "Jubilee" pedestrian bridge across the Lea links the area to the east bank of the Lea, and Canning Town station. Leamouth is the land, traditionally in Poplar, immediately west of the River Lea where it joins the River Thames at . Its northern half lies within a small meander of the Lea named after its reach as Goodluck Hope. The south-eastern part, known as Orchard Place is bounded by a local thoroughfare with trees, the remaining small East India Docks, the River Lea and the River Thames.

Plans

The '''Leamouth Peninsula''' project is a scheme by architects Skidmore, Owings and Merrill that has received planning permission to create up to 1837 homes, a community centre, an arts centre, and a primary school with places for up to 371 children on the peninsula. The scheme will consist of extremely high density housing around a central core pedestrian route linking to the proposed lower Lea Valley linear Park - leading to the Olympic Park, London. Leamouth will have beside its limited belt of trees which are to be retained or replaced, a mixture of towers, from to in height.[http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=942 ''Leamouth Peninsula Approved''] (24 May 2007, Skyscraper News) accessed 16 June 2008 The scheme will be implemented in two phases, one north of the single access road to the site, the other to the south, around Trinity Buoy Wharf. Construction work began, but was suspended in early 2009 due to the downturn in the housing market. Leamouth is the land, traditionally in Poplar, immediately west of the River Lea where it joins the River Thames at . Its northern half lies within a small meander of the Lea named after its reach as Goodluck Hope. The south-eastern part, known as Orchard Place is bounded by a local thoroughfare with trees, the remaining small East India Docks, the River Lea and the River Thames.

References

Leamouth is the land, traditionally in Poplar, immediately west of the River Lea where it joins the River Thames at . Its northern half lies within a small meander of the Lea named after its reach as Goodluck Hope. The south-eastern part, known as Orchard Place is bounded by a local thoroughfare with trees, the remaining small East India Docks, the River Lea and the River Thames.

External links

*[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46544 ''Leamouth Road and Orchard Place: Historical development'', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. 646-655]
*[http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?id=s0017895 A pedestrian and cycle bridge] connecting Leamouth to Canning Town tube station, opened in 2006.



Category:Districts of London on the River Thames
Category:Geography of Tower Hamlets
Category:River Lea
Category:Districts of Tower Hamlets