The Hale

VIDEO
Debra
Available Now
Vera
Available Now
Alexa
Available Now
VIDEO
Megan
Available Now
Dominica
Available Now
Kylie
Available Now
Marina
Available Now
Britta and Cleo
Available Now
Natalie and Nancy
Available Now
More Escorts

AllStars Escorts Areas / The Hale


The Hale is an area and ward within the London Borough of Barnet. It lies on the borders between Mill Hill and Edgware and centres around the small retail centre at the junction of Deans Lane, Hale Lane and Selvage Lane. This centre constitutes Upper Hale, but is much better known locally as the 'Green Man' after the erstwhile pub of the same name that stood at the site from at least the early 18th century. A smaller area that was traditionally known as Lower Hale centres around the junction of Hale Lane, Farm Road and the nearby bridge over Deans Brook; this area is generally regarded as being within Edgware. The traditional area known as The Hale extends northwards from the 'Green Man' to the A41 and Apex_Corner#Apex_Corner and the southern end is traditionally marked by the disused Edgware, Highgate and London Railway just south of West Way and Hale Drive; beyond lies Burnt Oak. Today's borough ward has slightly larger boundaries.

History

The Hale was a rural area until well into the 20th century, with only the Green Man pub and the Railway Tavern (still in existence today) on opposite corners, as well as farms at Upper Hale and Lower Hale. The Green Man pub was somewhat famous in the 19th century, including for sports such as boxing. The pub was totally rebuilt as it is today in the late 1920s, but eventually had its name changed in the late 1980s and has since become a Harvester Inn.

At the turn of the 20th century, The Hale was a popular place for day-trippers from Central London who frequented the two public houses. The area changed quickly with rapid development in the late 1920s and early 1930s, particularly triggered by the arrival of the Northern Line to Edgware tube station in 1924, and the consequent introduction of omnibus services from that station to The Hale and Mill Hill. The farms at Upper Hale and Lower Hale were sold and developed for residential housing, such as the Hale Estate (based around the east side of Selvage Lane, Sunbury Avenue, Sunbury Gardens and Maxwelton Avenue) in the late 1920s. Thus, since the early 1930s The Hale has been a suburban area generally characterised by private detached and semi-detached houses.

The most notable buildings in The Hale are John Keble church, a Grade II listed modernist-style building which was completed in 1936 and named after the English churchman, and Maxwelton House - recently discovered during renovations to be one of the oldest buildings in the larger Edgware and Mill Hill area - which is now a school building on Hale Lane. In 1932, the John Grooms Crippleage was opened just south of the A41 Edgware Way near Stoneyfields Lane; this was closed in the 1980s and replaced by modern private housing. The Hale is an area and ward within the London Borough of Barnet. It lies on the borders between Mill Hill and Edgware and centres around the small retail centre at the junction of Deans Lane, Hale Lane and Selvage Lane. This centre constitutes Upper Hale, but is much better known locally as the 'Green Man' after the erstwhile pub of the same name that stood at the site from at least the early 18th century. A smaller area that was traditionally known as Lower Hale centres around the junction of Hale Lane, Farm Road and the nearby bridge over Deans Brook; this area is generally regarded as being within Edgware. The traditional area known as The Hale extends northwards from the 'Green Man' to the A41 and Apex_Corner#Apex_Corner and the southern end is traditionally marked by the disused Edgware, Highgate and London Railway just south of West Way and Hale Drive; beyond lies Burnt Oak. Today's borough ward has slightly larger boundaries.

Geography

{{Geographic Location
|title = '''Neighbouring areas'''
|Northwest = Edgware
|North = Scratchwood
|Northeast = Moat Mount Open Space
|West = Deans brook
|Centre = The Hale
|East = Mill Hill
|Southwest = Burnt Oak
|South = Grahame Park
|Southeast = Colindale
}} The Hale is an area and ward within the London Borough of Barnet. It lies on the borders between Mill Hill and Edgware and centres around the small retail centre at the junction of Deans Lane, Hale Lane and Selvage Lane. This centre constitutes Upper Hale, but is much better known locally as the 'Green Man' after the erstwhile pub of the same name that stood at the site from at least the early 18th century. A smaller area that was traditionally known as Lower Hale centres around the junction of Hale Lane, Farm Road and the nearby bridge over Deans Brook; this area is generally regarded as being within Edgware. The traditional area known as The Hale extends northwards from the 'Green Man' to the A41 and Apex_Corner#Apex_Corner and the southern end is traditionally marked by the disused Edgware, Highgate and London Railway just south of West Way and Hale Drive; beyond lies Burnt Oak. Today's borough ward has slightly larger boundaries.

Transport

The Hale was formerly served by Mill Hill (The Hale) railway station on Bunns Lane from 1906 until it shut in 1939. Its immediate neighbour, Mill Hill Broadway railway station, is the nearest station today, within a short walking distance.

The Hale is directly served by London Bus routes London Buses route 221, London Buses route 240, London Buses route 292 and 305 - and routes London Buses route 113, London Buses route 186 and Uno buses route 614 serve the A41 at the north end of the district. All of these routes also serve Edgware tube station on the Northern Line, which remains the other main route to and from the area.

At various times 'Mill Hill ''Green Man'' ' was itself a terminal point for buses, most famously the 52 from Victoria from the early 1930s until the construction of the M1 and the then new bus station at Mill Hill Broadway railway station, to where the 52 was diverted in 1967. The Hale is an area and ward within the London Borough of Barnet. It lies on the borders between Mill Hill and Edgware and centres around the small retail centre at the junction of Deans Lane, Hale Lane and Selvage Lane. This centre constitutes Upper Hale, but is much better known locally as the 'Green Man' after the erstwhile pub of the same name that stood at the site from at least the early 18th century. A smaller area that was traditionally known as Lower Hale centres around the junction of Hale Lane, Farm Road and the nearby bridge over Deans Brook; this area is generally regarded as being within Edgware. The traditional area known as The Hale extends northwards from the 'Green Man' to the A41 and Apex_Corner#Apex_Corner and the southern end is traditionally marked by the disused Edgware, Highgate and London Railway just south of West Way and Hale Drive; beyond lies Burnt Oak. Today's borough ward has slightly larger boundaries.

References

Category:Districts of Barnet
Category:Areas of London